The mission of NAMI Ventura County is to provide emotional support, education and resources for families affected by mental illness. Through community collaboration and education, we advocate for a life of quality and dignity—one without discrimination—for all people affected by this illness.
Purpose and Services
The purpose of NAMI Ventura County is to advocate for and provide support and crisis resources to those affected by neurological disorders including schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, major depression, borderline personality disorder, OCD, panic disorder, severe anxiety disorder and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders. Our services to the community include:
- Crisis outreach.
- Consumer and family support services.
- Sharing and Education.
- Families helping families.
- Community awareness building and collaboration.
NAMI Ventura County believes that:
- Mental Illness is a neurobiological disorder requiring and responding to comprehensive treatment.
- People with mental illness have the right to access and participate in the latest and most effective medications and treatments available.
- People affected by mental illness have a right to be treated with dignity and respect—free from discrimination and stigma.
- Families need support, education, and direction.
- We must be respectful and represent the diverse cultures in the community.
- Community collaboration enhances the capacity to produce powerful results.
- To advocate for all people affected by mental illness is essential.
- People with mental illness have a right to quality housing, employment and social opportunities.
- Education of families, professional providers and the community is essential to an effective understanding of the complexities of mental illness.
- Increased scientific research is vital to the understanding of severe mental illness and the development of effective treatment modalities for all persons affected by neurobiological disorders.
- The development of all resources is essential to support the compassionate delivery of mental health services and the continued success of NAMI Ventura County.